Monday, June 1, 2009

caponata

People keep looking at me like I'm nuts with all the stuff I've planted, so I'm getting worried about what I am going to do with it all.  At the moment I am thinking that everyone I know will be getting pickles and caponata for Christmas.  
Caponata is kind of a Sicilian ratatouille.  I made some of it last September with some of our eggplants, but I just figured out that you can can it.  

Some recipes call for zucchini (which would be helpful) others call for red bell pepper (which would also come in handy) but pretty much all call for eggplant, celery, tomatoes, onions, garlic (all of which I am growing) olives, pine nuts, capers, vinegar and sugar (all of which I have in my cabinets).  Plus, I love it!
images here and here.

1 comment:

Anne @ The City Sage said...

Oooh I am SO going to make this! I have some very picky eaters on my hands so I love that I can customize it (no peppers, no mushrooms...jeez!). Thanks for the recipe!