Monday, July 20, 2009

oh, can it

about a dozen of our tomatoes are starting to turn red (yay!), and there are countless green ones on our heirloom tomato plants that will soon follow so, I'm getting prepared to can the little suckers. (when I say countless, I mean that literally. I tried to count them, but lost track at around 127!)
I have never canned before, and I'm kind of freaked out about it. However, I'm hoping canning is like knitting, sewing, baking bread, etc, meaning it's something my grandmother did all the time, but I find terribly intimidating until I actually do it.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get going in a couple weeks, wish me luck and no botulism.

3 comments:

Dionne said...

I've never canned either, so I will live vicariously through you, and if yours goes well, then I will give it a whirl!

Courtney said...

Canning seems a bit intimidating to me too, but then I've never tried it either. I'll certainly wish you luck, but if it goes as well as your gardening has, you won't need any!

abigail said...

I just made my first pickles today!
we'll see how it goes.