Thursday, August 27, 2009

best dinner ever


last night I threw a bunch of our crops in a pot and made some corn chowder. It was soooo delicious.
I didn't follow a recipe, but I think this is what I put in (btw, we've got tons left over so this "recipe" would probably serve 12):

2 ancho peppers
2 serrano peppers
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
6 small potatoes, chopped
12 or so cherry sized heirloom tomatoes
4 cups of corn (that's a total guess)
1 tablespoon "Better Than Bullion" mushroom base
water
1 cup of milk
butter
salt
pepper

10 shrimp
fresh cilantro for garnish

I roasted the peppers in the oven, removed the skin and chopped them up. Sauteed onion, celery, potatoes in butter, until the onions and celery were soft. Added the peppers and tomatoes sauteed until the tomatoes were juicy. Added the corn, mushroom base, and enough water to cover everything by about a half inch, brought it all to a boil and simmered until the potatoes were done. I pureed half of the soup in the cuisinart, dumped it back in to the pot, added the milk, heated the soup through, and added a little salt and pepper.

Meanwhile I sauteed the shrimp in butter and placed them on the bottom of a pasta plate.

I ladled the soup on top of the shrimp, topped it with cilantro and served. Delicious!

(sorry about the terrible photo)

No comments: