Monday, January 12, 2009

we're toast

ok, not toast, bread.
It didn't quite make my resolution list, but I have been wanting to get good at baking bread for awhile. I thought about taking one of Zingerman's classes but just never got around to it. 


However, for Christmas Steven got me this great book about making bread. Really it is a present for him because he will be far more interested in eating, while I will be far more interested in making the bread.


Today I am making baguettes.


Following the recipe, I made the dough yesterday, kept it in the fridge over night, and took it out this morning to rise. Just one problem, our house it too cold to get the dough to rise!
We keep the thermostat set to 63, (yes, 63 - if you're coming over, wear a sweater) and that is just not warm enough for yeast to get going.


Luckily, it turns out our oven can be set to 80, probably just for this purpose, so I turned it on and popped the dough in.
We'll see if that works.