Wednesday, February 17, 2010

dog and pony show

First, an update: Since everyone was so kind during Gus's health scare, I wanted to let you all know the very good news! His spinal tap and other brain tests came back perfectly normal, so he's probably got that weird, but harmless, head wobbling movement disorder.

We're supposed to keep an eye on him and take him in if there's anything weird, but the regular vet and the neurologist vet were both very pleased with all his test results and think that there's nothing major to worry about.
WHEW!
Now, a confession: I can't watch the Olympics.

Yes, I'm still mad at the IOC for the whole "let's exclude some ski jumpers just because they're girls" thing, but that's not why. I can't watch because they always, always, always pan the camera to the losers face at the end of the event.

Oh sure, first you get to see the winner's glowing face, full of pride and joy at their incredible accomplishment, but then the damn cameraman pans over to the person who got silver, or even worse, the one who just missed getting bronze.

I just can't take it, my heart breaks every time.

And don't even get me started about how much it hurts me to watch someone fall. (pretty sure it hurts them more, but still.)

So last night, after a long days work, we decided to watch the Westminster Dog Show instead of skating. (fyi, Gus and Ollie already won Best in World)

Their cameramen still pan over to show the losers, but win or lose the dogs wag their tails, get treats and look generally delighted. And the trainers look pretty happy too.



I thought my heart was safe, until the first commercial. (this isn't the exact one they showed, but it's the same idea.)

Dear Pedigree, just one question: are you trying to kill me?!?!?

After my heart was completely smashed, knowing there was no way he'd agree to us getting a third dog, I tried to convince Steven that we should foster a dog waiting for his forever home.

He was so not convinced, and suggested we change the channel to the Olympics before the next commercial break.

I can't really blame him, 2 dogs is already a lot and we've got a really busy spring and summer coming up, but I'd really like to find out more and see if it's something we can do sometime.

Gus and Ollie would love it. (I didn't pose them this way, just found them sleeping like that.)

Have any of you fostered a dog? Do you know anyone who has?

23 comments:

Unknown said...

i knew i shouldn't have clicked on the commercial, but i just couldn't help it. now i need a kleenex.

our one (not so) little (anymore) rescue dog fills up our apartment already, even though the hubby would love a new dog. or two. rescuing a dog was probably the best thing i've ever done!

oh, and fill us in if you find out more about fostering dogs. even though i'm pretty sure winslo's heart will break when the dog has to go to it's real home.

Alicia said...

I'm glad your baby is okay! Pet scares are the worst, because they can't tell you whats wrong! I have one adopted dog already, and would LOVE another one. Someday!!

Brandi said...

i watched the commercial too just now. if i didn't have three cats (two are rescues), i would totally foster a dog. there are some days that all i want to do is find loving homes for animals -- they need someone to speak out for them.

and i'm so happy to hear gus is okay.

i watched the olympics a bit last night and seeing disappointment on people's face when they fall or don't qualify -- it's heartbreaking. i sit there watching, holding my breath, repeating "please don't fall" in my head.

on a lighter side of things, did you see the Dodge Charger commercial? i missed it during the superbowl, but i think it's so funny.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Great news~ thank goodness!

I have 5 dogs, and if I could I would love to have more! Unfortunately my job keeps me on the move too much~ perhaps one day when I retire; I would even want some chickens & other farm animals~ luv that!
xo

abigail said...

5 dogs! Wow!

I'm gonna tell Steven that 3 isn't so many.

Lauren said...

Abigail! I have the same feelings on the Olympics and I watched the show too last night!! What a coincidence. Although thats hard to watch for me too because I am SO ready to get a dog (after my last two brothers passed away- within 3 months of each other- they were such a pair) but know that I need to wait for a few more things to settle into place before making such a big leap.

In September I bought tickets for my S and I to go to Meet the Breeds at the Javits Center in NY. It was the coolest experience because I am one of those people who knows all the dogs but I don't KNOW their proper name, so it was a great educational experience for me. I just loved it. A puppy and an adult of each breed was at each booth, perfect! (There were cats too, I was in heaven)

One last thing. Speed skating. I have never been more ANXIOUS in my life. S wanted to watch, I said OK, we both didn't know what to expect and literally my heart stops beating until one passes the finish line! I will say Apollo's first heat was still my fave- sly and then BAM breaks to the finish. Whew.

Thanks for the update on Gus:) Oh and if Lenore has FIVE you can certainly convince Steven three is OK. GO FOR IT.

very married said...

i've fostered a couple dogs now! I posted about it last week i think...

anyway - this post was hilarious! i kept wanting to be like, ME TOO! i can handle the olymics but it's football that makes me cringe. something about the pure disappointment and sadness from giant grown men. although, it was awful when the two Koreans lost silver and bronze in that speed skating race because they ran into each other...

also, my husband INSTANTLY changes the channel when he sees those sad puppy commercials. i HAVE in fact cried during them and he can't handle it :)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Ugh, I know that commercial. It makes me SO SAD.

My aunts both foster dogs. One currently has two spring spaniels and they are the sweetest boys EVER. The other has a min pin and an english bulldog. And they're pretty great too.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

I am so glad to hear Gus is ok! :)

Hip Hip Gin Gin said...

Such great news about Gus!! Those adoption commercials absolutely kill me too. I'm not ashamed to say I cry every time I see one. I've taken to changing the channel, I can't take it anymore. I'd love to foster a pup sometime but we will have to wait until Swarley is a little older (she's 3) since rescue pups probably need a playmate who is a little less in their face. Although I am afraid that if I took a pup in I would end up not being able to let them go to their new home, I don't think I could take seeing them leave.

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

Gus and Ollie are beyond cute! I have a rescue right now that isn't the biggest fan of other dogs, but I really want to foster too!

MaryBeth Houlihan said...

wow, dogs galore! i must say they are adorable.

Caroline, No. said...

Yay, I'm glad he's ok!

I can't really think about animals with no home. Too sad. My two kitties keep my 2 bed flat in enough chaos as it is. :/

kimbirdy said...

AW! Your pups are so cute! I'm so glad your Gus is okay. That must have been terrifying for you! And I totally know what you mean about wanting to foster a dog, I just don't think my cat could handle it.

Pesky Cat Designs said...

I'm not even going to click on that video. Last time I went to volunteer at a local shelter I ended up coming home a new kitty. :)

Such great news about Gus! He is just the sweetest. Glad that he is well.

tinypaperheart said...

haha loved this post! :)

Tiffany Kadani said...

I want a dog so bad! My husband says no but I'm working on it. My sister adopted a pit bull and it is the sweetest dog ever. I worry about fostering only because it would be hard to let it go.

Amanda Wright said...

I'm so glad Gus is ok! I'd love to get a third dog or foster one, but I don't think I could handle three leashes on a walk. Also, that would be a lot more poop to pick up!

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

I dont think I could do it. I could take them in, but never give up a puppy. This is why I can't go into the humane society. Last time, I was asked to leave for crying.

Michelle Schraudner said...

My cousin works at an animal shelter and fosters dogs pretty often. She loves it...except that of course she ended up adopting one! :)

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

I know first hand how completely terrifying it is to have tests run on your pup! I'm so happy that it sounds like he'll be ok. Our situation didn't turn out that way, but led us into fostering. We fostered-to-adopt a yellow lab named Cassie, but knew full well we were really adopting her when she came home. Then we fostered Pancake Sue and once again adopted her! I'm tempted to foster again, my husband really wants a third dog, but I'm more than a little afraid we wouldn't have the will power to just foster!

mindy said...

so glad to hear the latest, greatest news on your little gus. and those pedigree commercials get me every time! my husband looks over at me and i have the uncontrollable chin quiver....i just can't help it.

couture fashion said...

There is something about comercials with animals that touches more than wen it's just people. I'm always advocating adopting instead of buying.