Tuesday, February 9, 2010

gus dog

Something is wrong with Gus.

Early yesterday morning he jumped in our bed to snuggle and let us know it's almost time for his walk, just like he always does, and started doing this weird uncontrollable head shaking thing that completely freaked me out. We rushed him to the vet and they said that as far as they could tell for now he's in perfect health, doesn't even need his ears or teeth cleaned.

They gave him a thorough exam (the words, "he's so cute" were said more than once and not by me). They ruled out both the scariest and the most benign diagnoses (seizure due to cancer and ear infection, respectively) and took some blood to do some tests and sent us home. He was his usual active, happy, adorable self- played in the snow like a crazy dog all day, but the same weird head shaking happened again this morning.

We called, but the vet said not to bring him in again yet because he's terrified and hates it there so much, and because they are still running tests, but I'm scared.

Please think nice thoughts for Gus dog. He's only 4 years old!
I'll keep you posted.

18 comments:

Lauren said...

You are such a caring mother to your boys! I will be thinking about little Gus all day and sending good vibes your way:) I absolutely understand the anxious feeling you have right now, hope YOU are ok too!

Only FOUR!! Baby!

Great photos as always!

Caroline, No. said...

Yikes! You must be so worried. I googled it and ear mites and inner ear infections were mentioned. Hope against hope it is something simple like that. His youth must be on his side...

Good luck! (He is very cute!)

Amy said...

I don't know if this will make you feel any better or not, since they're not the same species, but the same thing happens to one of our cats from time-to-time. It's been happening for years and nothing has ever come of it. We'll be thinking about your people and doggie fambily in upcoming days.

Hip Hip Gin Gin said...

Poor Gus, he'll be in our thoughts for sure! I won't tell you not to be scared, I know that is too easy to say and too hard to do, but I do hope you are hanging in there. I know every time we have had a health scare with our Cairn I'm an absolute wreck. But it has always turned out to be ok, even when the symptoms were scary, they are tough little dogs! He is acting like his normal self, and they always say that is a great sign! Sending happy thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear this. It's especially scary when you don't know what's wrong. I'll be sending lots of good wishes his way.

Jayni said...

Oh, I will be thinking of Gus!! It's hard when we can't tell what is wrong with our pets. Sending good health vibes. =)

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Poor little Gus. Sending good thoughts your way... Think positive.

Color Me Green said...

best wishes...hopes he overcomes this soon

Jill Turner said...

OH NO!!! My dogs are my babies too. So sorry, but I'm sure everything will be okay. Sending good vibes to little Gus.

Xoxo ~ Jill

Pesky Cat Designs said...

I'm praying all will be well with Gus. From your vet visit it seems that it will not be anything serious. Keep us posted. Wishing Gus much health.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Oh no! I hope he is ok...thoughts and prayers for you all! :(

chiara said...

gustopher! i hope he is OK! xoxoxo

Rachel said...

Oh, poor baby! I hope they figure it out and it's something easy to fix.

Unknown said...

oh, poor little gus! wishing you thoughts of health... i know i get worried if our guy even has a runny nose! hopefully its something that can be cured with lots of cuddles :)

erin said...

oh no, i hope everything turns out to be alright. i will definitely be thinking nice thoughts. you're pups are adorable!

rcs said...

Carmen and Rio send their best canine thoughts Gus's way! We're all thinking of you :)

Brandi said...

Abagail, I'm so sorry to hear something is going on with Gus. I'm going to send him lots of good vibes his way and hopefully whatever it is, it's nothing serious. He's adorable and I don't want a thing bad to ever happen to him (I'm this way about my cats too).
{xoxo}

plaisirs simples said...

poooo little thing!!!!!!! omg i really hope he is ok