Thursday, April 2, 2009

best (orangish) pink appetizer ever



for my friend's pink themed fundraising cocktail party, I made tequila shrimp with orange and avocado in tortilla cups.  (really the tortilla cups were tostitos scoops because I am lazy and I left everything disassembled to keep them from getting soggy.)  
For the shrimp: saute a  half a white onion, a couple cloves of garlic in a lot of butter until soft, then add a couple serrano peppers and a pound of chopped shrimp and saute until almost done, add the rind of 2 oranges (first run it under hot water for a few minutes to get rid of the bitterness) and 2/3 cup of tequila and light it on fire.  allow it to burn until it flames out and add a half cup chopped cilantro.  dump in a bowl.  


chop a nice ripe avocado or two into small pieces, put it in a bowl and add a little lime juice to keep it from turning brown.
  

put a little avocado and a little bit of shrimp in a tortilla cup and eat it.  It's one of those annoying dishes you have to teach your guests how to eat but it was delicious!!!!!  

Really, I was so surprised by how good it was, I almost didn't care that it wasn't all that pink.  

No comments: